PADI Instructor Development Course
The journey starts here!
Here at the Gili IDC, we have developed an IDC program that ensures our candidates receive more than just their PADI Instructor certification. We focus on developing the essential knowledge, skills and confidence which will help you to succeed as a PADI Instructor.
Passing your PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) is a necessary process, but we like to provide a little more. By choosing the Gili IDC you will gain real life, first-hand experience working with your own students as well as having the opportunity to learn from our IDC staff; Our IDC experience provides way more than just the required certification.
Benefits of a taking the Gili IDC Instructor Development Course
- Our Multi Award Winning Platinum PADI Course Director Holly has many years’ experience working within the recreational dive industry, having held positions in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, The Philippines and the Caribbean. Her background means that she has experienced most of the situations that instructors can expect to find whilst working in diving and is more than capable of preparing candidates for a career in the dive industry. She will help you apply what you have learnt during the IDC to work through the challenges faced by instructors on a daily basis.
- You will make yourself more employable in the industry. Managers and dive centers look for instructors who can successfully balance the customer needs with those of your colleagues and the management whilst maintaining the highest PADI standards.
- You have the opportunity to work alongside our senior PADI Instructors, giving you real experience of the practicalities of running a PADI course whilst still having a mentor to support you; allowing for a much smoother transition into the industry.
- The Gili IDC Staff instructors are always on hand to assist and advise you. Sharing their personal experiences, training tips and the rewards of being a PADI Instructor.
- You can expect the same high standard of professionalism that we apply to all of our dive and training activities, our facilities are fantastic and we are proud of our friendly atmosphere!
More reasons to choose The Gili IDC
- The Gili IDC is a 5 Star IDC dive resort in Gili Trawangan, and the only PADI CDC Centre in Lombok.
- We are proud of our 100% pass rate for all IDC candidates.
- The Gili IDC course is conducted in modern, purpose built, air conditioned classroom facilities with the latest materials, visual aids and interactive teaching aids. Our onsite training pool exceeds all the requirements for teaching PADI courses. We also have all the materials and equipment required to conduct teaching presentations including lift bags, descent lines, first aid mannequin’s and oxygen kits.
- Equipment rental is included in the course and a 5% discount is available for IDC candidates on all equipment purchases.
- Our Open Water training site is located at Hans and Halik Reef. It is an extremely beautiful dive site and only a 5 minute journey on our spacious dive boats.
- We include additional workshops on crucial skills such as the controlled emergency swimming ascent, how to run a DSD, controlling ascents and descents, Rescue skills and a Search and Recovery workshop.
- The Emergency First Response Instructor (EFRI) Course is included.
- Our Course Director’s and IDC Staff Instructors are ever present throughout the IDC and Instructor Examination for support and encouragement.
- Daily lunch is included.
- Free wireless internet access is included.
- Travel and visa assistance can be provided upon request.
The IDC Prerequisites
To join us on the Gili IDC you must:
- Be a certified PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor with current membership of PADI, or an equivalent leadership level certification with another training organization
- Have medical clearance of fitness to dive, signed by a doctor within the past 12 months
- Hold an EFR certification or other first aid and CPR training current within the last 24 months
- Have been certified as an Open Water Diver or equivalent for a minimum of 6 months
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the course.
To attend an IE you must also show that you have logged a minimum of 100 dives and have successfully completed an IDC.
How to prepare for you IDC in the Gili Islands
We do offer preparation days ahead of the IDC but by preparing yourself thoroughly in advance, you will get more out of your IDC training and avoid feeling overloaded. To prepare independently we recommend that you:
- Purchase all required PADI materials
- Review your PADI Instructor Manual and the Guide to Teaching
- Revise the five dive theory topics (Physics, Physiology, Equipment, Dive Skills and the Environment, Recreational Dive Planner), using the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and Diving Knowledge Workbook, or enroll online for Dive Theory eLearning
- Make sure you have the latest version of the PADI Instructor Manual or update yours with the latest Training Bulletins
- Review the 24 skills you practiced during your PADI Divemaster course
- Practice Rescue exercise 7; ‘Unconscious Diver at the Surface’ exercise from your PADI Rescue Diver course.
Required materials for the Gili IDC
- PADI Instructor Manual (paper or digital version)
- Guide to Teaching with hologram
- Specialty Instructor Manual CD-ROM
- Open Water Diver cue cards (confined water)
- Open Water Diver cue cards (open water)
- Confined water lesson preparation slate
- Open water lesson preparation slate
- Adventures in Diving cue cards
- Rescue Diver cue cards
- Divemaster cue cards (included in Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Discover Scuba Diving cue cards (included in Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Instructor or Divemaster cue cards
- Open Water Diver quizzes and exams
- Rescue Diver final exams
- Divemaster final exams
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (included in Divemaster Crew Pack)
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- eRDPml and RDP (table version) with instructions for use booklet
- Manuals from Open Water to Divemaster
- How to use and choose dive computers
2018 Gili IDC and IE Calendar
|Instructor Development Course||Instructor Examination|
|Dates are subject to change and should be confirmed with Us
|10 Jan-22 Jan||23 Jan-24 Jan|
|21 Feb-5 Mar||6 Mar-7 Mar|
|28 Mar-9 Apr||10 Apr-11 Apr|
|2 May-14 May||15 May-16 May|
|30 May-11 Jun||12 Jun-13 Jun|
|11 Jul-23 Jul||24 Jul-25 Jul|
|15 Aug-27 Aug||28 Aug-29 Aug|
|19 Sep-1 Oct||2 Oct-3 Oct|
|23 Oct-4 Nov||5 Nov-6 Nov|
|28 Nov-10 Dec||11 Dec-12 Dec|
On completion of the Instructor Development Course you will attend the PADI Instructor Exam or IE. This is usually conducted over two days at an independent location here on Gili Trawangan and gives you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learnt.
The IE is conducted by PADI Instructor Examiner who travels to the Island on behalf of PADI to evaluate your knowledge and skills, testing everything from dive theory to training standards.
PADI is the only dive training agency that requires Instructors to pass an objective, independent examination to qualify as a professional instructor. The IE is a balanced and consistent evaluation process to ensure that all Instructor candidates meet the standards required of a PADI Instructor.
Provisions can be made during the written part of the exam for candidates with learning difficulties or if the materials are not available in their native language. Please let us know if you have any special requirements.
Check Out Our PADI IDC Video
More PADI IDC Indonesia Videos